Call for Nominations for Officer and Committee Positions:
President-Elect ● Secretary-Treasurer ● Graduate Representative-At-Large ● Undergraduate Representative-At-Large (two) ● ListServ Editor ● Communications Officer
The National Association of Student Anthropologists (NASA) is seeking students who are interested in being nominated as candidates for positions that will be open in 2016. We welcome nominations from both undergraduate and graduate students who have an interest in anthropology. While elected positions must be filled by NASA members in good standing, if you are not currently a NASA member we would like to encourage you to join and submit a nomination! Please visit the AAA website at http://aaanet.org/membership/join.cfm to join and/or our page http://www.studentanthropologists.org/Join, for more information on membership and to complete the brief online application.
NASA’s purpose is to “stimulate and encourage the interests and involvement of both graduate and undergraduate students in anthropology.” Working with NASA is a great way to gain leadership experience, and is an excellent opportunity to network with other students, professors, and professionals in anthropology and related disciplines. The atmosphere is friendly and collegial. Nominees are encouraged to bring and develop their own ideas for how NASA can better serve the interests of its student membership.
The NASA Nominations Committee will form a slate of candidates from the nominees for each position. NASA members will then vote for the candidates in the spring. In accordance with NASA bylaws, nominees, if elected, will serve two-year terms, which will begin in November 2016 at the Annual Meeting, and end in November 2018.
Officer Positions and Executive Committee Seats
- PRESIDENT-ELECT: Serves a one-year term as President-Elect, followed by another year as President; responsible for internal communications within NASA; coordinates activities of committees and facilitates NASA’s transition into the following year; holds one vote in NASA matters.
- SECRETARY-TREASURER: The Secretary-Treasurer is responsible for submission and maintenance of NASA’s annual budget, as well as for timely dispersal of meeting minutes and other pertinent internal board communications, as well as coordinating communication between NASA and other AAA sections. The position ensures both timely communication amongst NASA members and a lasting record of NASA activities for future members of the Association.
- GRADUATE REPRESENTATIVE-AT-LARGE: Actively represents all interests of graduate NASA members; solicits new members; mostly deals with attending to students’ e-mail questions and creating student networks throughout the year; effectively disseminates scholarship and professional opportunities to students. Traditionally chairs a NASA Committee.
- UNDERGRADUATE REPRESENTATIVE-AT-LARGE: Actively represents all interests of undergraduate NASA members; solicits new members; mostly deals with attending to students’ e-mail questions and creating student networks throughout the year; effectively disseminates scholarship and professional opportunities to students. Traditionally chairs a NASA Committee. (Two positions open)
- NASA LISTSERV MANAGER: Follows announcements/opportunities from a range of AAA list-serves on a daily basis, forwards those announcements/opportunities relevant to anthropology students to the NASA listserve members in a timely manner, updates NASA website calendar with upcoming deadlines for opportunities posted on the list, manages new listserv members subscriptions and requests to unsubscribe.
- COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER: Handles external to AAA communications functions such as maintaining the Twitter, and Google+ accounts, the NASA Facebook page but most importantly the Webpage. Helps maintain the historical records, and seeks more information for the historical record. Maintains the image records and makes any changes to PR materials. Helps create any printed materials needed for the annual meeting. Person should have basic knowledge of WordPress and/or HTML, or be willing to learn it.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS:
Applications must be received by email no later than Monday, February 15, 2016.
HOW TO APPLY: Nominations materials must include a Biographical Sketch and Platform Statement, and must be formatted in accordance with the following guidelines. Please submit your application by e-mail to the NASA Nominations Committee Chair, Julie Goodman, at Jul.M.Goodman@gmail.com by February 15th using “NASA Nomination” as the subject line. Please include the following four (4) items in the body of your e-mail application:
- Position you seek to be nominated for.
- Biographical Sketch exactly as follows; include bold headings (CVs will not be accepted):
- FULL NAME (highest degree earned, institution where degree was earned, year degree was earned) Positions held (most recent first): Title, (dates from-to) Name of Institution; Interests and/or Activities: (Limit 3); Significant publications (limit 3 – most recent first): Title, co-authors/editors if applicable, where published, year published.
I. WANNA WYN (PhD, University of Whereiwannabe, 2005) Positions held: Grand Inquisitor (2005-Pres) Search the World Over, Inc.; Leader of the Pack (1998-1999) Wearethebest University; Asst Leader of the Pack (1996-1998) Whimsy College; Interests and/or Activities: ritual, migration, presented paper at the Interdisciplinary Conference on Presenting Papers; Significant Publications: I Didn’t Really Know What I Was Talking About, but Now I Do (with Yule Shirley Wyn, PhD), The Perfect Press, Inc., In Press; “Trust Me, I know what I am talking about” (with Imrunin Aginstya, PhD) Journal of Ultimate Knowledge, 2004.
- Platform statement: The platform statement must be approximately 200 words in length. Statements significantly over 200 words will be cut down to 200 words before publishing.
- Digital Picture. If available, please provide a digital picture of yourself for the spring ballots
Nominees, if elected, will serve two-year terms, which will begin in November 2016 at the Annual Meeting, and end in November 2018. Positions up for election listed above.
Questions? Please contact the Nominations Chair, Julie Goodman, at Jul.M.Goodman@gmail.com.